DVPO header Home page link King County
Traditional Chinese 繁體字 Simplified Chinese 繁体字 Vietnamese Tiếng Việt Somali Af Soomaali Russian Русский
Subpage Imape
Protection Order
Advocacy Program

Seattle (206) 477-1103
Kent (206) 477-3758

Get more information about a
location closest to you.

1.3 million women and 835,000 men are physically assaulted by an intimate partner annually in the United States.


Protection order forms

As the person requesting the order, you are called the “Petitioner”. The person you are filing the order against is called the “Respondent”. Below is a list of the forms you will need to complete to file for the protection order. There may be one or two additional forms that the staff at the courthouse will ask you to complete. The Judge will use the forms you fill out to decide whether to give you a protection order.

Downloadable Protection Order Forms

Petition for Order of Protection
Form: WPF DV 1.015
Revised: 06/2010

This form tells the court who you are, how you are related to the respondent, what restraints should be included in the order, and why you need the protection order. The respondent needs to be served with a copy of this document and will be able to read the statement you wrote.

PLEASE NOTE: Because the respondent will receive a copy of this form, be careful not to include any confidential addresses or sensitive information that you do not want the respondent to have.

Temporary Order for Protection
Form: WPF DV 2.015
Revised: 06/2010

This is the two week order the court can enter at the time you file. It lists the acts that the respondent is restrained from committing. The respondent needs to be served with a copy of this order.

Law Enforcement Information Sheet
Form:WPF All Cases 01.0400
Revised: 06/2010

This form provides information about you and the respondent, including dates of birth, addresses, and brief physical descriptions. If the respondent does not know where you live or does not know your phone number, you can choose not to include this information and just keep it confidential. You may want to list a contact person (someone who could receive a call on your behalf) in case the police who are serving the order need to contact you. All information on this form is entered into a database so that law enforcement has access to your order. The police will also use the information to find the respondent and serve the order. The respondent does not need to be served with a copy of this form.

Return of Service
Form: WPF DV 4.020
Revised: 06/2002

This is a critical document that once completed must go to the Court where your case is being, or was heard, AND to your local police department so that the respondent can be arrested or charged if he/she violates the order. This form is not for you to complete (other than the heading). The person who serves the respondent must fill out this form to verify to the court and the police whether the respondent has been served. The person who serves the respondent (often a police officer) must be over 18 and cannot be the petitioner.

Other protection order forms (modifying/terminating or renewing your protection order)

Modifying a Protection Order
If you want to make changes to your protection order at any time, you can come to the courthouse to make that request. You will need to fill out forms explaining why you want to change the order and what changes you are requesting. You will see a judge or commissioner the same day. The judge or commissioner will usually set a hearing so both parties can be present to say how they feel about the changes. If it is urgent that a change be made immediately, the judge or commissioner may modify the order the same day you make your request. Protection Order Advocates are available to help you with your request to modify a protection order.

Terminating a protection order
You can terminate your protection order before it expires if you believe that is what is best for you. The decision to terminate a protection order is a serious one. Think carefully about how it will impact your safety and your children’s safety. Consider talking with an advocate about your decision. Know that you can request that the protection order be modified instead of terminated. For example a protection order can be modified to allow phone contact between the parties or expanded visitation with the children. To terminate a protection order you will need to fill out forms explaining why you want to terminate the order. You will see a judge or commissioner the same day. Sometimes the judge or commissioner will terminate the order the day you make the request and sometimes he or she will set a hearing so both parties can be present. Protection Order Advocates are available to help you with your request to terminate a protection order and will support whatever decision you make.

Renewing a protection order
If you need your protection order to last longer than its original expiration date, you can come to court and ask to renew it. You will need to fill out forms explaining why you want to renew the order. It is best to come in and request to renew your protection order about a month before it expires. It is helpful to bring a copy of your current order with you. Also bring the respondent’s address if you know it, as he or she will need to be served with a copy of the petition for renewal. A hearing will be set for both you and the respondent to come to court to explain how you feel about having the order renewed. At this hearing it will be the respondent’s burden to prove to the Judge why he or she is no longer a threat to you. If you and the respondent have children in common the court will only grant a protection order for one year at a time so remember to come in to renew your protection order each year for as long as it is necessary for your safety and the safety of your children.